Thursday, November 13, 2008

MomDot's blog party

Cool, My first Blog Party! I love parties!



Click on the graphic above to go back to the main post
Sponsors: LaPlates and Lets Go Strolling and Natitys Design


Today they're asking about our Christmas Traditions. Since my husband and I started our family, we've been away from both of our own families, by hundreds of miles. So, early on, we started alternating which family we'd visit for Christmas (and the other family, we visit for Thanksgiving). Even before we had kids. That way there weren't any complaints on who got to see us most.

This year, we'll be going to his family's celebration. Before we leave, Santa will bring some of the girls' gifts to our house the weekend before (anyone got a better idea on how to solve not carting all the gifts half way across the country?) Then, Christmas day, the girls will open their presents in the hotel room (his mom and sister live in an apartment with his neices, there's not enough room for us there). We'll probably just have the free breakfast at the hotel (not may restaraunts are open Christmas day) and then head over to his Mom's for a little bit before we all congregate at his uncle's for a late lunch/early dinner with all of his cousins and their families (I think there was close to 60 there last Thanksgiving).

When we go to my parents' house, we get up, have a special breakfast (usually danishes or cinnamon rolls), the girls open the gifts in their stockings while they wait for everyone else to arrive. They're the only kids in our family, so they really make out gift wise, but most of my family tries to keep it to pretty practical stuff (clothes, books, etc). They do get toys, but it's not all toys. After the gifts, then comes lunch, turkey, sweet potatoes, stuffing (one with oysters, one without), mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and sometimes flapper apples (apple rings that are colored red and cinnamon flavored). We've been having cake for dessert because it's also my SIL's birthday. Shortly after the meal, she and my brother leave to celebrate with her family. While the rest of us sit around and relax and watch the kids play.

So, I'm curious, does anyone have a good solution to Santa and a Christmas away from home, that doesn't involve taking all the gifts with us? Especially when they're big gifts (like the play kitchen we got my oldest a few years ago).


14 comments:

Melissa said...

My friends go away for Christmas every year to Mexico.. I know.. poor them!! but anyway, they always write Santa a note letting them know where they are going... One year Santa stopped by early and dropped off a BIG gift. (swing set if I remember correctly). Just an idea.

Jen said...

We live halfway across the country from our families, so we spend Christmas in our own home. Its quiet (if you count 3 children with new toys quiet), but we like it that way.

Jen
http://www.100DaystoChristmas.com

Julie@Cool Mom Guide said...

We drive 12 hours every year with kids for Christmas. It sucks so bad this year we've decided to fly but we have no idea how we'll get the presents home! http://hopemaybe.com/?p=230

3 Kids and Us said...

I love that you guys do a breakfast, I always seem to forget that.

Tena said...

Welcome to the blog party!! great tradtions

Staci said...

Maybe you could pack up their stockings to take with you, and do the other gifts at home. That way they have something to be excited about. Maybe you could include a not saying the rest of the gifts are waiting for them at home, and open them when you get back.

Hope your holiday goes well!

Trish said...

We have to alternate families as well, and we're trying to figure out how to deal the presents too. Our dd is only 18 months, so she doesn't understand. We figured we'd take some of the smaller gifts with us, but leave the majority of them at home for her to open once we get back. Maybe you can say Santa dropped most of your presents off at our house, so they'll be there waiting when we get back! My aunt and uncle do pack their whole van and drive for 6 hours, just to pack it all up and take it back. I think that's really crazy. If you're buying things online, maybe have them shipped to your parent's house, that way they are already there. Just make sure to pack light on the way there so you'll have lots of room for them on the way back.

Melissa said...

I like the first comment about Santa coming early with the big gifts!! Have a wonderful Holiday!

CompleteLee Blogger said...

We do two stuffings too--inside stuffing and outside stuffing. (Some of us don't like the stuffing that has been cooked inside the bird.)

Tracye said...

What about "forgetting" something before you leave the house, and running back inside and setting it all out? That way, when you walk in the door from your trip, Santa will have visited your house while you were gone?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss!

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

I would do the presents before the trip. One year, my parents had Santa do an extra surprise visit in July. I never questioned it.

caroline said...

Thanks for the ideas!

My parents packed up the majority of our stuff to take the hour to my grandmothers every year, but if it didn't all fit in the car on the way home, it wasn't a big deal since we'd be going back again soon (although I don't remember leaving anything behind).

Some of my most vivid holiday memories are of me coming down the stairs at my uncle's house and seeing the ENTIRE floor of the living room covered in gifts (my cousins were there too and all my aunts and uncles swapped gifts with each other and their spouses, etc, there were a lot of people).
It's really hard to create memories like that in a hotel room like we'll be a this year!

Momstart said...

Just stopping by from the MomDot blog party, crazy time

Rita @ My Precious Pennies said...

We spend Christmas by ourselves too (except for this year), and although we LOVE our families...just being able to enjoy your immediate family is awesome too.

 
QAMom © 2007 Template feito por Templates para Você