Friday, November 14, 2008

MomDot Blog Party Day 3 - Budgeting for Christmas

Click the above image to learn more about MomDot's Blog Party.
Day Three Blog Party Question is Brought to you by Appledonia, Hippos Toes and My Bag

Today's questions are: Have you started your Christmas shopping yet? Do you budget for the holidays? Do you always stick to your budget? Share with us any budgeting tips you may have!

Yes, I've started my Christmas shopping. Since we spend Thanksgiving with one side of the family and Christmas with the other, I try to get all the Christmas gifts I'm going to get for the family we're spending Thanksgiving with before Thanksgiving, so I can take them with us instead of paying to ship them. Usually I'm not completely successful and have to ship some stuff but it's better than having to ship it all. This year, I'm giving Advent baskets, where there's a small gift for each day from Dec 1st-Dec 25 and an envelope with some Bible verses to read along with some inspirational Christmas activities, thoughts, etc. Since we'll be seeing most of the people right before Dec 1st, it seemed like it would work well. I'll have to mail a few, to the family members that don't usually come for Thanksgiving, but their gifts would likely have needed to be mailed anyway. I've also started picking up things for the kids as I see them (especially if they're on sale). Kmart's got a coupon for one of the Barbies that my daughter asked for, the coupon expires tomorrow so I'll probably be trying to get that tonight or tomorrow.

I don't do a budget. I'm not a budget person, but usually I do end up spending a little more than I intend. (which probably indicates I really should do a budget!). I DO shop sales, all year long and put things aside for Christmas and birthdays. Even places like the Disney Store can have some good deals (I've gotten PJs there cheaper than Walmart and they've got the princesses on them, I've also gotten some stuffed animals for $1 or $2), you just need to keep your eyes open.

My parents used to do a Christmas Club through their bank. They made monthly payments (like you would for a loan) and then before Christmas the bank would give them a check for the money (plus intrest) it was was an account designed specifically for Christmas. I haven't looked to see if any of the banks around here do anything like that or not.

Where's your favorite place to find bargins? or great gifts for cheap?

7 comments:

Tena said...

that's a good idea bringing the gifts with you to Thanksgiving. Shipping can end up costing more than the gift

Custom Blog Designs said...

You sound like a great bargain shopper!

Check out the new Family FotoFun Friday feature on my blog~ http://dianas-daily-ramblings.blogspot.com/

Staci said...

I love shopping clearance at TJ Maxx or Marshalls. I always seem to find toys there really cheap. Your right, Disney does have great sales sometimes too.

Good luck finishing your shopping!

Cathy said...

I love the Advent basket idea! I usually shop Walmart, unless it is something specific I need to get.

Tracye said...

The Advent baskets are a great idea!

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

I've never seen stuffed animals at Disney for that cheap. That's a great deal. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Momstart said...

Sales are the best way to get stuff. This is my first year for a budget

 
QAMom © 2007 Template feito por Templates para Você