Sunday, May 15, 2011

Iron Craft 19: Spring Craft Challenge

Over at the Iron Craft site they had a Spring Challenge.  We could do anything related to spring.  Well, around here, we broke out the flip flops as soon as spring hit.  But, my youngest had out grown hers from last year.

So, I found some for $1 and decided to embelish them.

Materials:
Ribbon (less than a yard)
Two buttons
Thread and needle
Hot glue
Fabric paint.

Hello Kitty Flip Flop supplies

I cut 4 lengths of Hello Kitty ribbon (from Target's Dollar spot!) just slightly longer than the length of each side of the straps.

flip flop progress

Then, I hot glued the ribbon on each side, just to hold it in place for the next step.

Hello Kitty flip flop close up
Next I took a thread and needle and made a small stitch in one side of the ribbon, ran the thread under the strap and made another small stitch in the other side of the ribbon, essentially whip stitching the ribbon to the flip flop. (click to see a bigger version of the pics).

Hello Kitty Flip Flops
Then, I was afraid that the thread would break and the ribbon would come off, so I took some fabric paint and painted the inside of the straps with it.  I think it gives it a bit more finished look too.  I also sewed a flower button at the point.


I've done every challenge since I started the IC Challenge, but haven't blogged about them all. I'll try to do a post for the others a little later.

No comments: